Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Issues...

So I have a bunch of posts ready to go and can NOT download the pictures.  "server rejected"  each and every time...like for weeks now.  Not sure what to do?  Anyone...Bueller?  So, either I start posting without pics (not fun) or have to resolve my issue...  so that's what's been the problemo over here!

In hindsight, I'd like to share a pie crust recipe with you.  I have no pics of this crust anyway...it was made quickly and devoured quicker, and the camera wasn't quick enough to take the pics apparently.

I adapted this recipe from one that my sister gave me for "Raw Strawberry Pie."  but, I needed a little more dense crust for my Raspberry Frozen Yogurt Pie.

"Pie" Crust:
-1 cup almonds
-1 1/2 cup dates (I used half pitted and half Medjool...yummy!!)
-1/2 cup toasted oatmeal (used quick oats and toasted them on med. heat in a dry skillet)

Place almonds and dates in a food processor and grind up until they form a paste (similar to homeade larabars)  Put in a bowl and then add the toasted oatmeal.  I stirred with a spoon and then just got in there with my hands to really get it all combined.  Spread in a 11x7 pan.

Now..for the "pie"
-1 carton raspberry (or your fave) frozen yogurt. (the almost 1/2 gallon size)
-1/3 cup raspberry simply fruit spread
-handful fresh raspberries
-the ever so healthy cool whip!!  (which I do plan to experiment with one day and replace but, like soccer dad told me..it's a dessert honey, it better not be all healthy!...true 'dat)

-Place about 1 container (give or take a bit) of frozen yogurt (softened) on top of your crust (no need to bake) and spread evenly into pan.
-Whisk raspberry preserves with about 1 T water.  Pulse in food processor or whisk fresh raspberries separately and then combine together and whisk.  Will form a nice sauce.  Spread on top of yogurt.
-Top with about 1/2 container (give or take) cool whip or favorite whipped topping. 
-Grab a chunk of your healthiest dark chocolate and shave right on top of the cool whip for a pretty presentation and just that little extra kick of antioxidants, I mean flavor :)
-Place back in freezer for a few hours and get ready to have happy guests! 

I really liked how this turned out. I brought it to a cookout and everyone liked it a lot (at least they said they did) and I was really happy with my experiment.  I felt much better eating this crust rather than a graham cracker or cookie/butter crust.  and bonus...it was also a little more filling :)

No comments:

Post a Comment