Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Pizza Dogs

Sound good or completely disgusting?  Well, I am here to assure you these were a family hit and believe it or not, healthy too as there is nothing that is actual "dog" about them except the bun.  I will have to give you estimates on my measurements as I literally created this recipe with leftovers in my fridge for a busy baseball night on the go!  But it was one of my best. meals. ever.!!! (at least according to the boys)

I made about 3-4 "dogs" out of this:
-whole wheat hot dog buns
-2-3 chicken italian sausages (removed from casing and browned)
-handful of turkey pepperoni, diced
-pizza or marinara sauce (about 1/2 cup) or to desired "sauciness"  (new word!!)
- 1 tsp. oregano or italian seasoning would probably work well too...my sausages were super duper tasty so I opted for less seasoning.
-shredded mozzarella cheese

-In a skillet...saute chicken sausages (or in my case throw in the leftover sausage that I had in the fridge and start warming) over med-med high heat.  When cooked through, add pepperoni and stir together.  Add marinara or pizza sauce and oregano.  Stir to combine and allow to all heat through.  Place desired amount into a hot dog bun and top with mozzarella cheese.  EAT UP!!

This recipe was obviously so stinkin' easy and a kid pleaser.  Totally adaptable to other ingredients too.  My kids (and by kids I am including soccer dad here) are big sausage/pepperoni pizza kids so I made it with what I had on hand and what they like on their pizza.  Could also add any veggies in there as the meat is browning.  I think I might sneak some sweet potatoes and extra tomatoes in the sauce next time I make it..those are the easiest to hide in marinara sauce :)  Could serve these on any buns as well.  I actually put one of them in a pita (as girlie asked for it and then didn't eat it like that of course..but I did and it was just as tasty!)  Serve a nice salad or cut up veggies along side and you've got yourself an easy peasy kid friendly supper!

1 comment:

  1. I made meatball subs the other night and Jack was beside himself about it being on a hot dog bun. How could a sub be on a hot dog bun? Honestly!

    ReplyDelete