Wednesday, May 18, 2011

White Bean-Green Pea Hummus

Sound a little weird?  That's what I thought too...but I had to try it.  The actual recipe is from Robin Miller, one of my fave oldie Food Network chefs and she calls it Guacamole.  The only thing Guacamoleish (new word!) about it is the color, otherwise I find it most like hummus and an awesome option to get more veggies in your or your kids diet!  The recipe is in her book "Quick Fix Meals."  Love that cookbook by the way!

White Bean-Green Pea Hummus (Guacamole)

-2 cups frozen peas, thawed
-1 cup canned white beans, drained and rinsed (I used great northern)
-2 cloves garlic, minced (I used 2 tsp. of pre-minced)
-2 tsp fresh lime juice (and a little extra...)
-1 tsp ground cumin
-1/4 cup cilantro (which I ommited only because I didn't have any on hand)
-salt and pepper to taste

-Put all ingredients (minus cilantro) in a food processor and let it do the work for you :)  She also suggests to put it all in a blender and puree or to mash with a fork until big lumps disappear.  You can keep it as lumpy as you like.  Fold in the cilantro and season to taste.  I used the food processor because that's how I make my hummus.  And I then added a little extra lime juice as it was processing to get a little creamier texture.  It's pretty thick stuff.

Totally healthy stuff!  My kids were a little turned off by the color at first but I told them what it was (and they love hummus and guac...) and they were game to eat it with their carrots and cukes.  What they didn't know was that they also got peas...bonus for mom!  I have also used it as a spread on my wraps that I love to make.  A little hummus on a flatout wrap topped with spinach, thinly sliced crispy cukes, turkey, chicken or tuna and roll up.. a delicious, healthy, filling meal :)

Don't be turned off by the green color.  I think this is a fun variation to the traditional chickpea hummus.  Don't get me wrong, I love that too...it's just a nice change of flavor.  I may be heading to make more now.  That stuff was awesome for snacks this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment