Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sports Snacks

I'm having an issue.  First soccer game is Sat. (even though we've hardly practiced because of floody fields!!  coach got so desperate that they practiced in the rain today since it was warm rain...it's not going to be a pretty first game...) and we are in charge of snack (includes snack and drink.)  I hate when I'm in charge of snack.  I know, me, hate being in charge of snacks...food...really?  Yes, you know why?  Ok, here's my issue:

Snacks after sporting events should not include chips.  Snacks after sporting events should not include cupcakes.  They should also not include Sam's club muffins (that are even too large for an adult to eat for breakfast!), twinkies, candy, soda, or Hi-C (not even resembling fruit) drink boxes.  I kid you not, I've seen it all given as snacks after soccer games..these kids were 5/6/7...SERIOUSLY!!!

So, I'm the mom that brings the fruit water.  I'd rather not bring a drink because frankly, they need to drink the water out of their water bottle...especially in the really warm temps.  They just ran around for an hour, they need to hydrate!  So, for pure sake of not embarrassing my son that he has the mom that doesn't believe in bringing a drink, I settle for fruit water.  Really, it's not that bad and Minute Maid brand is even better than Capri Sun...NO HFCS!!  (yea, really, let's add high fructose corn syrup to water...!!!!! you people know how  I feel about that!)  Ok...so we have that covered.  Is bringing 100% juice really all that bad?  No, probably not, I mean if it's 100% juice I'm not going to have a major issue with it.  If it's all that sugared garbage, I have an issue.  No kid needs Capri Sun or Hi-C or heaven forbid Sunny D!!  I have seen Gatorade and while I use gatorade after my long runs, I just don't think it's necessary for a child's soccer game.  If it was 80+ degrees, then maybe.  It's a hydration drink, not a fun drink.

On to snack...  The kids just participated in a sporting event.  They exercised.  We encourage them to participate in activities for many positive reasons, one being exercise and promoting healthy habits (well, at least I hope we do) so let's now shove them full of sugar as their reward for playing their best?  NO!!!  Whatever happened to orange wedges?  That's what we used to bring to my sisters soccer games.  But if I brought those now, I'd be the mom that brought the healthy snack that half the kids threw away.  Well, maybe not, but it's almost socially unacceptable.  We went apple picking during the fall season and I said I was going to bring apples to all the kids. Soccer dad said don't do it honey, you'll embarrass the boy.  I'm doing it this year darn it!!  So I sit here and rack my brain as to what snack to bring 9, 6/7 year old boys for snack after their first soccer game.  Mind you, we have to be careful of nut allergies or I'd whip up a batch of homeade energy bars....those wouldn't taste good without the peanut butter :(   I think in the past I've done lower sugar granola bars or nutri-grain type bars.  Both which I'm not a huge fan of but they are somewhat better than other alternatives.  Not big on bringing fruit snacks and those are like bringing candy and let's face it, they don't fill up a hungry tummy!  Easy maybe, but like I said, I'm trying to make this a whole experience for my child...you exercise, you eat to fuel your body.  No reason to start the attitude that  a lot of adults take...hey, I worked out today, I can eat more garbage.  Not saying I haven't used that excuse ever, but I clearly don't believe in it.  Some people truly do believe in that and kids, well, they need to be taught good lessons to take them into their adult years..

Enough of my preaching.  I'm just sitting here racking my brain trying to be a socially acceptable fun mom but also a healthy mom.  Ahh...the joys of being a soccer mom :) 

What is your go to snack for kids sporting events or maybe even for yourself on the go?  peanut free of course!  If you have any suggestions, PLEASE comment them!!

Oh and as a side note...for little girlie's birthday treat today I made banana raisin muffins...lots of whole grain goodness in those babies, minus the sugar and plus the taste!!  Not sure the older boys would go for those as much as the little tikes did at daycare today!

1 comment:

  1. Chocolate milk would be another good option for a post-soccer game drink that is good for recovery and kids love it! I can't believe you have so much trouble with this. I really would have guessed that by now, parents would understand that you can give healthy snacks to kids!

    Just some ideas....
    --Little baggies of popcorn (you pop or light microwave, obviously not that prepackaged stuff!)
    --Snack pack pudding cups? I haven't really analyzed the nutrition information, but seems like it wouldn't be too bad. Low calorie, made with milk and no hfcs at least?
    --Surely there are some whole grain crackers out there that would be acceptable? Maybe with those little cheese chunks?
    --Are pretzels cool enough?

    Man... this is tougher than I thought! I totally see your dillemma now!

    ReplyDelete