Wednesday, April 20, 2011

More Homeade Larabars

Time for another healthy post!! 

I finally got my act together today (well, kind of...) and made some more Larabars.  I think I struck gold today, 2 very yummy flavors...

Apple Pie Larabar:

-1/2 cup dates
-1/2 cup dried apples (non sweetened)
-1/4 cup almonds
-1/4 cup walnuts
-1/2 tsp cinnamon (or to your liking)
-1/4 cup raisins

Put all in your food processor and blend for 2-3 minutes.  I always dump onto a piece of wax paper and then press into a bar form.  These make 2-3 bars.  I made 2 but they are huge!!  But...soccer dad likes himself a hearty snack. 

Banana Bread Larabar (seriously tastes just. like. banana bread!!!!)  might be my new love :)

-step one....if you can't find unsweetened dried bananas...do this:  cut up a ripe (the riper the better) banana into think slices.  Place on parchment paper on a baking sheet (if you don't they will stick like crazy!)  Bake for about 2-3 hours at 200 or until they dry out.  So..do this when you are going to be home for the day and you want your house smelling like bananas :)  I did a couple so I could make a couple batches or have some for snacking.  Way better than those oil and fat loaded banana chips (that my kids happen to LOVE!)  Can also use a dehydrator if you are so lucky to have one :)

now for the actual recipe:
-1/3 cup dates
-1/3 cup almonds
-1/3 cup dried or dehydrated bananas

Place ingredients into food processor for 2-3 min.  Press into bar form.  I got 2 nice size bars out of this and boy oh boy...it was like eating banana bread.  I am so excited for morning snack tomorrow!

Let me know if you've tried any others...there are lots out there.  I think my next endeavor might be the Key Lime.  One of my co-workers was eating one the other day and he kept saying how good it was...now I just need to figure out the right ratio...there is a little more to those... I'll keep you posted!

Happy Healthy Snacking!

2 comments:

  1. I think this one turned out pretty good!
    Cherry Pie
    * 1/4 cup Dried Cherries or Cranberries
    * 1/4 cup Seedless/Pitted whole Dates
    * 1/3 cup almonds
    * 2 tsp cinnamon

    Have you found unsweetened dried bananas anywhere? TJs? I want to try that banana one for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and a found the key lime pie one on the same blog as the cherry pie...
    Key Lime Pie
    * 1/2 cup cashews
    * 1/2 cup Seedless/Pitted whole Dates
    * dash of sea salt
    * Zest of 1 lime
    * 1/2 tbsp lime juice
    * 1/3 shredded coconut

    ReplyDelete