Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Kissing Hand

Has anyone heard of this book?

A random mom at tumbling class was trying to think of the name of this book (I think...) to help my little girlie overcome her separation anxiety fear.  Until she gets REALLY used to a situation, she screams, holds onto me for dear life and just plain out refuses to go to her activities (that she is always super excited about at home!)  I'm not sure it's the separation anxiety as much now as she did point out to me that she didn't know anyone in her tumbling class and didn't like that, so it may be more of that but nonetheless, we still have some issues.  She is going to Safety Town right now too and went crying 5 days in a row and then this week, not one tear.  The head teacher literally had to peel her off of me one day...ugh!  It's frustrating and heart braking all at the same time. 

Anyway, I looked up this book and it seems like it might be a perfect book for separation anxiety.  I was just wondering if anyone had seen, read or used it before to get a more personal review.  I am fearful that for 4K preview (Jumpstart to JK) that we may have these same crying issues and then heaven forbid on the first day of school...that will kill me as she is my baby going off to the big school.  So, I need to nip this in the bud soon!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Just found your blog through Pass the Cereal... I am a former Kindergarten teacher (turned stay-at-home mom) and we always read this book the first week of school in my classroom. It is a really sweet story about a mother racoon that kisses her son's hand on the first day of school as a way to reassure him with a "secret" way to carry her love with him even if they are apart. I would definitely recommend it!

    ReplyDelete