Monday, October 1, 2012

It's October...or ROCKTOBER!

Why do I say Rocktober?  Only because I've seen that everywhere lately for all different reasons.  I think its appropriate given that October is by far my FAVORITE month!  There really isn't much I don't like about this month.  Let me tell you why in case you may have forgotten!

-My birthday!!!  Yes, I'm turning 37 this year and still LOVE to celebrate my birthday.  Heck, I love to celebrate anyone's birthday.  There's just something fun about having a day that is special for you (even if there are a million people that share that day)

-Halloween!  What is NOT to love about Halloween?!  I do know some people that don't love it, but I can not comprehend.  You can dress up and be someone else or something else for a day and you get candy, and lots of it, for free!!  Hello?!  Now grant it, I don't love candy as much as I used to but the idea still thrills me and well, my kiddos can hardly stand that they have to wait almost 4 more weeks for trick or treat!

-Beautiful colors!  I LOVE fall colors.  Every day that I watch my tree change colors makes me smile.  I love watching the yellows, oranges and reds all over the place.  Makes me happy happy happy!  And on the halloween note...I love ORANGE!  We were decorating for Halloween yesterday and pulled out the purple lights and orange lights and my little girlie got all excited.  Excited because she loves holiday decorating like her mama but she loves purple!  And I said to her, this is the best holiday ever!  We get to decorate with purple and orange (and black)  I love orange and you love purple!  And that put a big fat smile on her adorable face!  She is definitely my daughter!

-The weather!  I love myself some 60's.  Don't get me wrong, I love summer!  LOVE summer!  I love to be warm and not cold.  But, I also love to wear hooded sweatshirts, jeans and fun sweaters.  So, as long as we don't dip much below 50-55, I love October weather.  Cool nights, comfortable sunny days. 

-The food!  I gave into fall food last week when we had a few dips in temps.  That and I could hardly stand staring at squash at the farmer's market anymore and not buying it!  Then, at Sam's club I saw the 3 pack of pumpkin and well, that was it!  I mean I had to buy it, what if we had a shortage again?!  That would be tragic!  Pumpkin anything rocks!  Then, I pulled out the pumpkin blondie recipe.  I tried to make it twice and had to keep reminding myself I was out of a couple of the key ingredients.  But everyone loves those so I can't wait to make those soon!  Yesterday I made some coconut pumpkin bread, nut free cherry chocolate chip granola bars for the kids (that's a secret recipe for now as I created it and I'm not sure when I want to share it), and spiced sweet potato blondies as a little treat for the family but still somewhat healthy.  Yes, I was a baking machine yesterday.  But in fall, on Sundays, I often bake, make and create for the week so we have lots of healthy alternatives to grab for snacks, breakfasts or pre and post sport meals.  I also made some sweet potato hummus last week that was AWESOME!  so I will share that with you soon.  Oh and finally, apple butter...tried that for the first time ever.  Wow!  fun stuff!  See...I love fall food!

-Apple Picking!  Although the apple crop is super slim this year, we still managed to fit in some apple picking.  A little pricey but man did we have fun!  Its a tradition that my parents started with us when we were little and I hope to keep it going for many many years.  We always have fun and what's not to love about a fresh apple!  I only love apples for about 3 months out of the year, then they aren't as good anymore.

-Pumpkin patches and harvest festivals.  Only in October should you go to a pumpkin patch (in my opinion anyway)  Its something we always reserve for a weekend day.  I love to look at all the shapes and sizes and take fun pictures.  I can't wait to go this year!  Seriously, I can't wait! 

-Football!  Yes, football starts in September but I kind of half watch it the first few weeks.  For some reason when sports overlap (baseball and football) I can't quite get into one until the other is over.  Well, last year we had baseball quite a bit into October but this year our poor Brewers will end their season this week and while that makes me very sad as I love myself some baseball, I can now actually sit and watch a Packer game rather than also worrying if the Brewers are winning or not.  I'm not a guy, I can't do multiple sports and remember every single thing I want to remember.  My hubby on the other hand can remember every stat of every player or every sport that day.  Weird.  Maybe they can multi task?  Oh no, they can't.  They can only multi watch!

-Finally, Breast Cancer awareness month.  Now, this maybe isn't something to get super excited about but there are so many great fundraisers this month and actually a lot of fun things associated with raising money for an extremely important organization!  Well and everything turns pink.  I love pink.  Not as much as orange, but I love pink!  I also made a few important decisions this month.  My doctor recommended that I get a baseline mammogram sometime this year and I decided that October was the perfect month for that so I have that coming up (and honestly I'm not really dreading it, I'm looking at it as a healthy decision and maybe something I can do for myself in this important month) and I have been needing some new running shoes and have tried on a few different pairs.  Well, I made my decison based on something rather unique.  Yes, I was price shopping as I usually do, but I have been debating between a couple pairs that are similar in price.  Then I saw that finish line was donating $10 of every pair of these shoes sold to Susan G Komen and that was it, sign me up.  So these babies are on their way to my house soon!  And I've never had pink running shoes before so I'm pretty excited. These are a brand new shoe by Asics, first of its kind.  They are revamping their running shoe line so this shoe is supposed to be very similar to a shoe I have worn in the past and really like so I'm excited to see if it holds to be true.  But even if I don't love them I'll still keep them for bumming around and know that I donated to a good cause by purchasing them.  (oh and don't worry, I didn't pay full price, I had a coupon :)
So that's about it I think.  All the reasons why this is going to be ROCKTOBER!  I hope you all enjoy this time of year as well!  We had a very busy and sort of rough September so my mood already changed this morning when I realized it was a new month and my favorite month at that.  Time to re-focus and enjoy all those fun things I mentioned already! 

Now tell me...what is your favorite part of October? 

2 comments:

  1. I was a little fall chef last weekend too...chili, cornbread, pumpkin fluff dip and apple recipes! Yum!

    Love the pink shoes too...super cute!

    ReplyDelete