Anyway, what I wanted to share is that because of our crazy day that is always a weekday, I had to cook and if I wanted a cake that I could actually eat, I had to make it. Hubby's late day at work today, busy after school and the kids insisted we had to have cake and/or ice cream for my birthday. I have pretty much cut out cake and ice cream and I don't do well together on a regular basis so I have been very much cutting back on that too so I really was fine just making my shrimp and chicken stiry fry and having a quiet night on the couch. BUT....I didn't want to disappoint my sugar seeking children so I compromised and made this cake. I had to add about 3 T maple syrup to make it taste like a cake to me but otherwise it was pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised. The frosting (which I added like 1-2 T honey too but probably didn't have to) was delish! Could've just eaten an entire bowl of that stuff no problem. Anyway, served it up with some all natural vanilla ice cream and the kids thought it was some great stuff! It would have never been my choice for a birthday cake...I am NOT a chocolate cake gal at all, but it was a nice treat and it won't leave me feeling sick tomorrow (I don't think!) which was a good bonus. And I feel better that I gave my family a healthy treat yet still a treat. I know some people think that's weird, that you can indulge once in a while. And I agree, indulge once in a while but today was not the day I felt like indulging, so I skipped it. I will indulge on a different day and let's face it people...halloween is so close that those kids can miss the sugar and make up for it soon!
I do have to say that I share a birthday with a little girl in my daughter's class so I gave her a balloon today and wrote a note saying that I was so happy that I shared my birthday with a sweet little girl and put a bag of these delicious m&m's (like a handful in a ziploc bag to use as a weight) attached to her balloon. But..I had to try just 2 as they have been eyeing me up all fall here. Then I let the kids each have 2. Yep, 2. That's it and I seriously never heard a word about it. That's how we roll around here!
Go ahead try a couple..its worth it!!
Happy Birthday Jackie (yes, I'm just a little behind on blog commenting these days)!!!!
ReplyDelete