Friday, August 26, 2011

A Perfectly Peachy Breakfast

I struggle with changing up my breakfasts big time!  Mostly because I usually have to eat fairly quickly, so I just make my usual yogurt, fruit and kashi...give or take.  But when I have a few extra minutes I am trying to make a little more variety in my breakfasts...trying to get that protein punch first thing in the morning to help me start my day off nice and satisfied and energized!  Here is one of those breakfasts that I make when I have a little extra time.  And, if I would think about it more often I could actually prepare some of it ahead of time and then it wouldn't take any more time than my yogurt!

Cottage Cheese, Peach and Oatmeal Crisp

1/2 cup 1-2% cottage cheese (I prefer Daisy because it's super natural)
1 peach or nectarine diced
cinnamon to taste
1/4 cup old fashioned oats
2 T sliced (or chopped) almonds

-In a dry skillet combine oats and almonds and toast over medium heat (about 5-7 min)  Watch carefully so they don't burn!  (this is the step that could be done ahead of time and then stored in a container.  Could also be toasted in the oven like granola)  Add a little cinnamon when the oats are nearly toasted and stir for one last minute.  Set aside to cool a bit.
-Combine chopped peach and cottage cheese in a bowl.  Add cinnamon to your liking.  Mix up.  Add oat mixture and combine. 
-EAT UP and know you started your day with a healthy, protein packed punch!!

No comments:

Post a Comment