Thursday, August 25, 2011

No Bake Energy Bites

Yummy snack time!!!  Look at these babies...good enough to eat, right?

(photo courtesy of smashed peas and carrots)
Oh yes they are...and healthy too!  I saw this recipe here and quickly adapted it to suit ingredients I had on hand!

My version of No Bake Energy Bites:
-1 cup Old Fashioned Oatmeal
-1/2 cup Chunky natural peanut butter
-2-3T Honey (I was running out so I literally squirted all that was left plus a squirt of Agave)
-1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
-1/2 cup ground flaxseed
-1 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients together until very well blended in a bowl.  Put in refrigerator for about 1/2 hour or more and then take out, form balls and store (or eat now!) in fridge in a tupperware type container. 

If you look at the original recipe...I clearly didn't use nearly the amount of honey...like I said, I was out but for sweetness, they totally didn't need it.  I even taste tested them with one of my fave client taste testers and she agreed :)  They were a little crumbly...I mean they held together but once you bite into them, they crumbled so the honey might be a good glue!  Clearly didn't add chocolate chips either.  I wanted to do some dark ones but didn't have any so figured they'd be much healthier without them.  And finally, only used 1/2 cup coconut, mostly because I like coconut but I don't LOVE it, so I just took half and I think that was perfect, but you choose.  I'm pretty sure these babies are somewhat forgiveable!

I think I might have to try them using almond butter and maybe adding some cinnamon and raisins too!!  Happy Snacking (without turning on your oven!)

1 comment: