I have recently encountered something new in my training life. Well, it hasn't actually begun yet, but it is scheduled to begin at the end of the month. I am part of a research team!! That in itself sounds important, right? Well, that's how I was welcomed. I am part, but maybe not such a huge part. I am going to be a trainer for some of the participants. Sounds huge, maybe? Well, I have to basically help these people follow an already written protocol and make sure it's done correctly and safely, so yea, kind of important.
What is this research study you ask? Well, it's a study on Alzheimer's disease and if exercise helps slow the effects of the disease. You can read more about it and the team I am working with here. It is a fascinating study in my opinion and something I had really never thought about. Surely you know someone that has been or is affected by the disease...so this may be interesting to you.
At any rate, I will follow these participants in a treadmill workout (gradual and building up) over a 12 week period. We monitor their heart rate and time. MRI scans are taken before and after the study to determine brain activity and blood flow and to see if the exercise changes that activity. So far it sounds like it does indeed, but they are continuing to research and find out with many stages of the disease.
I will keep you posted on my adventure. Like I said, my "subjects" won't be ready to start for a few weeks, but I am very excited to do this. I feel like it's a new adventure in my training career! Wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment