Friday, March 11, 2011

Homeade Larabars

I have an issue to deal with...making easy and healthy snacks!  Well, I've tried many and liked many but how can I resist a new recipe.  Enter the Larabar.  Surely you've heard of Larabar right?  Well, they are super trendy right now because they are all natural energy/snack/protein type bars.  Very healthy, no garbage, basically.  Well, they can get quite pricey as well.  It's painful paying near $2 for a bar.  Now, they do go on sale and they do have coupons, but still...

So, in the blog world lately I have seen MANY recipes for homeade larabars.  Do you think I could resist trying a couple?  NOPE!!

Here's what I tried and really really enjoyed!

PB&J Larabar (recipes adapted from http://www.eatrundoyoga.com/)  makes 2-3 bars.
-1/2 cup pitted dates
-1/2 cup roasted, salted peanuts
-1/4 cup cherry berry dried fruit mix (or any dried cherries, cranberries or blueberries would be yummy!)

Put dates and peanuts into a food processor for about 2-3 minutes (closer to 3 in my opinion) but in the last 20-30 seconds add in the dried fruit. 
Dump mixture onto a piece of waxed paper and form into a bar.  (I pressed with my hands and then folded the wax paper around in a rectangle and pressed more to make the shape)  Cut into squares or rectangles and wrap in plastic wrap.  Store in fridge or freezer.

**Can I just say YUM...like ridiculously YUM...pbj in the healthiest way and no nasty wheat gluten to upset my tummy!  I am having one for my snack tomorrow, I am so excited!

Almond Cookie Larabar
-1/4-1/2 cup dates (I used 1/4 and it wasn't enough...so next time I'm going closer to 1/2)
-1/2 cup roasted almonds
-1/4 tsp vanilla

Place ingredients in a food processor...2-3 min.  Follow directions as above.  Also serves 2-3.

**These were also very good.  Mine didn't stick together as well as the pbj ones, so I'm guessing I just needed more dates in there or to throw in another "sticky" ingredient.  They were very tasty and healthy though.

See...super duper easy peasy.  I think I might start experimenting with these a bit.  My food processor and I have been very friendly lately, hopefully he will continue to treat me right!!

Have you ever made your own Larabar?  If you have...PLEASE SHARE!!

1 comment:

  1. Just made these... scraped a little bit off the food processor and I can tell it is going to be delicious... just like PB&J! I cut mine into 3 bars. Do you know the nutrition information per bar by any chance? If not I'll plug it into one of those nutritional calculators, but just wondering if you knew off hand.

    ReplyDelete