Tuesday, February 8, 2011

NFL Play 60

I have been a HUGE fan of NFL Play 60 for a long time!  If you haven't heard of it, the NFL partnered up with several different health organizations to promote a healthy and active lifestyle in children.  60 minutes of activity and play everyday...surely you've heard the commercials!  Well, with the superbowl just wrapping up and our favorite team winning...I thought it was appropriate to remind people of the important things the NFL is trying to do for children all year round.   Many people that know me know that fighting against childhood obesity is a huge passion of mine.  I really really want to get more involved in it and am constantly thinking of ways that I can make a difference in the life of a child.  Of course, the biggest way is by setting an example for my own children.  When children see their parents being active and exercising it encourages them to do so as well.  It's hard to tell your child he or she should be active when you are sitting on the couch all night long, tired or not. 

I have come up with many games for our kids to play including the silliest things like running up and down our stairs a hundred times.  We have dance parties, we play active games, we play outside so long as it is safe and we enroll them in activities as we can.  There are some game and activity suggestions as well as recipes and contests on NFL Play 60.  I encourage you to check it out and see if some of these things might work for your family.  We are still very excited about football in our house and I think we will use some of these suggestions to get us through the rest of winter, until we can move into baseball season :)

And finally I just want to really encourage you (if you aren't already) to become active as a family.  There is nothing better than having fun while you exercise.  It is definitely harder in winter, but there are still plenty of things you can do...sledding being one of my favorites!  Please do your part to help prevent childhood obesity.  It is an epidemic that is getting out of control, but as parents we can at least take a baby step to help that with our own children. 

Who knows...maybe this could be your child someday...I know one of ours is hoping to be pictured here!


They are role models for our kids, help them understand ALL the reasons why!

No comments:

Post a Comment