Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Mango Agave Granola

It's no secret, I LOVE the food network.  I don't have as much time to watch it anymore but I do love to read my Food Network magazine or at least glance through the recipes when I have time.  THEN, I love to become a Food Network chef and create away.  Anyway, this time it's Bobby Flay who surprised me with this amazing granola.  I tried it and me likey.  Then, I gave it to my trusty taste tester and she loved it.  Batch number 2 coming up soon :)

Mango-Agave Granola (with a few minor changes of course)

-1/4 cup canola oil (i used half applesauce, half canola oil...may eliminate oil all together next time, but it doesn't clump without the oil, so if you like clumps in your granola, follow bobby!)
-1/4 cup agave
-1/4 cup honey
-1 tsp cinnamon
-2T packed light brown sugar (why?  so i eliminated)
-1 tsp vanilla
-3 Cups old fashioned oats
-3/4 cup slivered almonds
-1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
-1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
(eliminated both seeds because i wanted to make it that day and didn't have either at the time)
-2T flax sees
-2T wheat germ
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 cup sweetened dried mango (diced)
and then Bobby suggests serving it over 2% Greek yogurt.  I just used my usual plain yogurt with cinnamon and it was delish.  Heck, I ate the stuff by the handful for snack!

-Preheat oven to 325.  line baking sheet with parchment or spray really good!
-mix oil (or applesauce), agave, honey, cinnamon, brouwn sugar and vanilla in a small bowl until smooth.  Combine oats, almonds, seeds, flax, wheat germ and salt in large bowl.  Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir making sure everything is evenly coated.  Spread mixture evenly on prepared baking sheet, stirring occassionally until golden brown and crisp (about 25-30 min) although mine took only about 22.  I hate burned granola, I've done it a lot!
-Remove granola from oven and let cool slightly, then break into clumps while still warm  Let cool completely and then toss with dried mango in a bowl.  Serve with yogurt.  Store leftover in an airtight container in cool place.

Most of all, enjoy it.  It's yummy, a little sweet and healthy.  and then let me know what you think :)

No comments:

Post a Comment